Tuesday, December 29, 2009

MY Q&A ON CURLYNIKKI.COM





CN: Were you a long term or short term transitioner, and why?

I was a long term transitioner-- 8 months. In the beginning I wasn't really planning to transition... I usually stretched relaxers for 5 months at a time. I was 4 months into a stretch when I realized I just wanted to be natural!

CN: When did you BC? What was your initial reaction to your natural hair?

I BC'ed on May 27th 2009 . I could see the difference between my natural hair and my relaxed hair-- it was so much healthier and thicker! I couldn't wait any longer and decided to cut it off. At first, I really didn't know what to think... I didn't have any ideas on how I was going to style it, or care for it, so I braided it up. The braids were in for about a week before I told myself that there was no reason to hide from my BC. The time had come for me to learn how to deal with the new texture and embrace my short hair.

CN: How did family and friends react to the new you? What was your response to them?

I hadn't told anybody I was going to do it, not even my fiance. People asked me why I did it, and I shared my reasons with them frankly. In the end, I decided it didn't matter what people thought! I also realized that hair is hair and it would grow back in no time.

CN: What was your staple hair style during the transition?

I always wore a beanie hat with my bangs flat ironed.

CN: How did you moisturize your hair to prevent breakage at the new growth line?

I was and still am using water and shea butter, and sealing with coconut oil.

CN: Why did you choose to go natural?

I was damaging my hair so bad! I had no clue that my actions were keeping my hair above shoulder length all those years. Researching online has taught me how to care for and style my natural hair. Seeing so many beautiful women with natural hair inspired me to take the leap as well. Now I'm in love with it so much, that my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!!!

I also have a blog documenting my natural hair journey @ mizzangieshair.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails