Thursday, April 15, 2010

Denie ~Before and After



How long were you thinking of going natural? What's the story ?



I always admired women that I saw with natural hair. I never knew that I could be natural as well. I thought once I got a relaxer there was no turning back. I never hated my natural hair I just thought it was very unmanageable.Then one day accidentally I discovered the youtube natural hair community and I spent alot of time watching natural hair journey videos. I was so amazed. So I started doing research on going natural and then I made up my mind to do it. And it has been the best decision that I have made for my hair.



Was your transition a long or short one?


My transition was a long one. It lasted for eight months ,although I had planned to go a year. It became very difficult dealing with the two textures and after my friend made me realize how busted my hair was looking I just knew that I had to do the big chop sooner than I planned.



We all know how important it is to moisturize our hair
while in transition,what products did you use to keep
your hair moisturized?



During my transition I would co-wash often and keep my hair moisturized with shea butter and coconut oil.


What was your staple hairstyle while in transition?



My staple hairstyle was definitely a ponytail I wore my hair in a ponytail for about 98% of the time. The only time I wore any other style was when I went to Jamaica for spring break I got my hair braided and early in my transition I flat-ironed twice.



When you decided to Big Chop,how did you feel about your cut? And how did people react to it?


After I did the big chop my initial reaction was ultimate shock. My hair looked dry and like I had a big matted fro. I immediately told my friend that did my big chop to braid my hair. So we went to the store and got the braid hair and I felt like all eyes were on me. I wore the braids for two days because I became allergic to the hair. After I took the braids down and washed my hair I saw my beautiful natural hair come alive and I have been in love with my hair ever since. I got some negativity from others but I did not let it bother me and now I have longer hair than all the people that told me I was a fool for cutting my "pretty" long hair.


Did you have any regrets?



The only regrets that I have is that I did not go natural sooner or if I could have known then what I know now I would never had relaxed my hair.


What are your long term goals for your hair journey?


My long term goals for my hair journey is to keep my hair healthy and achieve my goal of waist length hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails