Thursday, January 21, 2010

LA SHEA~ BEFORE AND AFTER

Meet LaShea Williams from hairlista.com.
One of her regrets was that she didn't stop relaxing her hair sooner!




How long were you thinking of going natural? Whats the story ?

I never thought of myself really going natural before, but I have always liked it. I thought to myself ,When the time was right,I most definitely will do it. Once, I saw my girl going natural,and she looked absolutely beautiful and gorgeous, she encourage me to go natural too,but I wasn't sure if I was ready for it. I did my research on youtube, nappturality's website and other websites that were helpful. I fell in love with how beautiful it was to be natural. On May 09, 2009, I decided to stop relaxing my hair, and deal with the new growth for the rest of the summer.


Was your transition a long or short one?

My transition was a short one,I stopped relaxing my hair in May 09 ,and I did the BC (big chop) on Oct 10, 2009,but I wish i had waited a year to do it.I was afraid of how short the length of my hair would be if I chopped it off too soon. I have a big head ,and people are always calling me, “Hey, Big head.” Lol.

We all know how important it is to moisturize our hair while in transition,what products did you use to keep your hair moisturized?

I really didn't know anything about how to keep the hair moisturized during transition. All I did was put oil in my hair to slick it back.

What was your staple hairstyle while in transition?

During my transition, I had to get my hair braided. I was not my own hair stylist because I was dealing with two different hair textures,It was definitely killing me. There were many times I wanted to pull my hair out, My hair was too short to style it. Most of the time, I wore a scarf to cover my hair and refused to go out.


When you decided to Big Chop,how did you feel about your cut? And how did people react to it?


I was so excited to to get my hair cut after I took the braids out. I felt very frustrated dealing with two textures ,and didn’t want to deal with it anymore.I was in such a hurry to make an appointment for my hair. I had to wait a week before i could get an appointment,I could have done it myself, but I was afraid I would have made a huge mess. Once I did the BC, I felt so free. All of my friends and some of my family supported my decision to go natural. Their questions were “Why are you going natural? How did you do it? Do you not have the need for a perm?

Did you have any regrets?

My regret, is that i didn't stop relaxing my hair sooner,but other then that ,no, not at all. I wouldn't even go back to the relaxer, and I wouldn't trade my natural hair for anything in the world. I love my natural hair. I do regret that I became a product junkie though, I couldn't find the right products to define my curl. I still haven't found a product for my hair since the BC (Big chop). I am in my third month of being happily nappy and the products that I am using is Donna Marie products. There is some curl there, but my hair is still a little dry,I am still trying to find products that will keep moisture in my hair.

What are your long term goals for your hair journey?

My goals are to keep maintaining healthy natural hair,to grow my hair out,and I would also like to learn to be able to style my hair in different ways.

The first picture is of me when i stopped relaxing my hair in May 2009

In the second picture,i am in my third month natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails