Thursday, February 11, 2010

Carol ~Before and After




How long were you thinking of going natural? What's the story ?

I started thinking about going natural when I became fed up with the breakage, shedding and split ends as a result of perms. I started transitioning in January 2009, but never really intended to do the big chop. My hair kept growing steadily and I kept cutting it to keep the hair style. I had plan to wear straight styles only. The motivation to big chop came after 7 months of transitioning: Last summer, I bought Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner (for the first time) for my daughter. I used it once and noticed how my new growth curled up and I felt like those curls were just dying to come out. lol
More importantly, I went through a spiritual transformation at this time. My idea of physical beauty was always attached to having long, straight toss able hair. The Lord impressed upon me that He is more interested in cultivating inner beauty and that any type of hair texture He created is "good". This insight gave me the confidence and freedom to let go and not worry about it. I have self-worth because of Jesus Christ-not because of the way my hair looks!

Was your transition a long or short one?

medium-7 months

We all know how important it is to moisturize our hair
while in transition,what products did you use to keep
your hair moisturized?


I used a spray--I used Proclaim Olive Oil Spray and Cantu Shea Butter cream. I no longer use these for my natural hair.

What was your staple hairstyle while in transition?

I had a straight bob-very easy to just wrap at night and comb down in the morning.

When you decided to Big Chop,how did you feel about your cut? And how did people react to it?

I loved it-the freedom-and the individuality of my curls and coils. It was very short--but very cute. I think I played with it compulsively. I got so many compliments, but most people were shocked. Nobody really knew that I was transitioning anyway because my hair was straight all the time.

Did you have any regrets?
None

What are your long term goals for your hair journey?
I plan to let it grow and let it flow.




1 comment:

  1. Oh she looks so beautiful. I have been trying to tell my mother that she needs to do it, but she's like "Its for you young girls..." Ay, ay, ay!

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails