Friday, February 26, 2010

Angel ~Before and After





How long were you thinking of going natural? Whats the story ?


The third time was a charm for me! I had wanted to go natural during my junior year of high school, and every time I attempted, I failed. After going to my friend's prom in May 2009, I decided that I would finally do away with relaxers forever! May 7, 2009, was the last time a relaxer touched my head!


Was your transition a long or short one?

I believe my transition was in the middle. I transitioned for 6 months. I didn't plan on cutting my hair at that mark, but it just happened!On Wednesday November 11Th
I cut my long relaxed hair off while listening to India Aire's song "Strength Courage & Wisdom." I had consulted God before making this huge decision,and he confirmed many of times that it was the right thing.I was born on Wednesday March 11See the similarities between my unplanned big chop and my birth? I felt like this was my rebirth. I am molding into a new woman now, and I refuse to look back!










We all know how important it is to moisturize our hair
while in transition,what products did you use to keep
your hair moisturized?


During my transition, I was a faithful user of cantu shea butter conditioning repair cream. Now that I am natural, my hair hates that stuff! The cantu would leave white stuff in my hair, and no matter how many times I shampooed, it would not come out.
I also used vitamin E oil during my transition.


What was your staple hairstyle while in transition?

I am a young lady who loves switching up her hair on a daily basis. I hate having one style! lol. I wore twist n curls, braid n curls, buns, bantu knot outs, roller sets, etc.


When you decided to Big Chop,how did you feel about your cut? And how did people react to it?


When I big chopped, I cut it so uneven, so I had to go to my pro-relaxer hair stylist to shape it up. She used a small tooth comb and combed through my dry hair! It was the worst experience ever! I was left with a dry little fro. I remember looking in the mirror, being embarrassed in front of all the clients, and thinking to myself..."Did I cut off all my long beautiful hair for this?"
She tried to get me to walk out the salon with the little dry fro, but I put my hood on, and walked out feeling discouraged. I tried not to cry, and hoped that after I "fixed" it, it would look better. I went home and gave myself a deep conditioner, and all of my curls started to POP! I was filled with overwhelming joy, and I told myself that I would love my hair, and display confidence at all times!

Did you have any regrets?


I have no regrets! This has been a learning experience, and it is a journey that continues everyday.

What are your long term goals for your hair journey?

My hair grows pretty fast, so I plan to let it grow to its capacity. I would like my hair to at least reach BSL length unstretched. I plan to love my hair when big, flat, dry, kinky, curly, whatever! I have to have patience, and continue to encourage and motivate other women to go natural, and embrace what God gave them! I did my senior project on the Politics of Black Hair, and I continue to reach out and educate others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails