Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gina ~Natural Inspiration

Meet Gina , A natural diva who has proven how versatile natural hair can really be.



How long have you been natural?

I had my last relaxer on December 28th 2002. 7 years

Have you ever had a relaxer? If so ,What's your story? What made you want to decide to go natural?

I had my first relaxer when I was in 6th grade. I was 12 or 13. I was 22 when I had my last one.

For the final two years of college, I moved across town closer to my school, but further away from my stylist. It was difficult trying to get an appointment with her that would work with my class schedule so I tried to find a new stylist closer to where I lived and I didn’t like the way any of the new stylist would do my hair. I thought 'why exactly do I have to keep relaxing my hair every 6 weeks'? and I couldn't’t come up with a reason “why” I was actually relaxing my hair. It’s as if I was saying that my natural hair was not good enough to be shown around. I made the decision to stop relaxing right when I was due for another “touch-up”.

I was going to do a long transition because I had long hair, but after about 3 months, I got tired of the two different textures and cut all the relaxed hair off. If felt so liberating! I’ve since done numerous big chops. My last one was in April 2006.


How would you describe your hair type?

Like many black women, I have a multitude of textures on my head. The center and nap of my neck is very dense but fine (3c & 4a) while the rest is 4b.



What is your regimen? What products do you use to maintain the health of your hair?

Being natural for the past 7 years, I think I’ve tried everything under the sun. The best thing for my hair however, I recently discovered at an Aveda salon, the steam machine. The steam machine gives a higher level of deep condition than I could have ever expected. I decided to invest in a steam machine for my home and I love it. I also use Aveda products, shea butter, coconut oil and some products by Jane Carter.

Do you have any long term goals for your hair?

Just to keep it healthy. I am pretty satisfied with my length especially when flat ironed.


What tips would you give,to the newly natural ladies?

Remember that your hair is beautiful as is. You can’t treat natural hair the same as relaxed hair.

Is there anywhere we can find you on the web?

http://public.fotki.com/LaGina/









2 comments:

  1. Yay my hair twin! :o) It' nice to see different styles with our type 4 hair being accomplished besides a puff. I will definitely look for here for inspiration.

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely hair,
    Where did you purchase your steamer?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails