Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Eva ~ Before and After

Meet Eva,one of her goals in her natural hair journey is to prove to women that afro textured hair can be healthy and grow long.




How long were you thinking of going natural? What's the story ?


I first thought about it during my senior year in high school. When I told a girlfriend about the idea, she asked what would I do with my hair while it was short and nappy? I didn't have an answer so I put it out of my mind. It wasn't until I saw some videos on youtube of natural women that I thought this was attainable. I never knew there were so many beautiful ways to wear natural hair. Our hair is extremely versatile when natural. So the more I learned about hair, the more I realized that my hair was never going to be healthy and beautiful if I kept using chemicals. So I decided I was willing to do whatever I had to do to get thick healthy hair.

Was your transition a long or short one?


I think the transition is ALWAYS a long process. Lol My goal was to wait 6 months, I cut my hair after 4 months. I was disgusted by the limp, frayed relaxed ends hanging off of my thick fluffy naps.

We all know how important it is to moisturize our hair
while in transition,what products did you use to keep
your hair moisturized?


During transition, I tried to learn as much about black hair as possible and found the simpler the product the better. Shea butter, coconut oil,and olive oil were and still are my top 3 moisturizers. I also deep conditioned my hair with mayonnaise because my hair responds really well to protein.

What was your staple hairstyle while in transition?

rod sets and quick weaves


When you decided to Big Chop,how did you feel about your cut? And how did people react to it?
I felt nervous and excited, I was amazed how soft my hair was! I thought I looked like a boy before she styled it though lol. I got a lot of compliments on it. My mom liked it, which surprised me.

Did you have any regrets?

Only that I would have done it sooner.

What are your long term goals for your hair journey?


My long term goals are to grow the largest afro possible! I want to see how long (or big) my hair can get by maintaining it and retaining length. I also want to show people by example that black women can have long beautiful healthy hair when we treat it right. Especially black women, because many of us don't believe that's attainable for us, when really its right within our grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails