Monday, March 1, 2010

Samara~Before and After






How long were you thinking of going natural? What's the story ?


I didn't do much research at first, but I was really tired of my relaxed hair. It was thinning out and shedding from stress causing it to be different lengths. I had past shoulder length hair on the sides and in the very back center my hair was significantly shorter. My hair was also still recovering from damage of the microbraids I worn years ago! My first decision wasn't really to go natural, but to cut my hair off and try a texturizer instead on the new growth. When that didn't go well, meaning I did not like the results or the amount of product and time it took for maintenance to make my hair look "curly", I just shaved it all off and decided to go completely natural.



Was your transition a long or short one?

I did not have a transitional period.



When you decided to Big Chop,how did you feel about your cut? And how did people react to it?

I was a bit skeptical at first because I wasn't used to my hair being as short as it was. I actually purchased a wig and wore it for my first few months. When I did become comfortable with my hair length, I did get rude comments from people that did not understand natural hair. The one word that stuck out the most was "crackhead". It was very hurtful to say the least. I had a total stranger once yell that out the window at me for no reason while I was walking to work. I then went and got my hair braided at a salon (medium sized braids of coarse), because I was so self conscience about my hair. When I did decide to remove my braids, the insults started again. I was called bald headed by someone and not to forget to include the word "nappy-head" as well. Although my hair was almost shoulder length at the time, the amount of shrinkage made my hair look very short and I was tired of people being rude and making comments about something they didn't understand. I got fed up with the insults, but instead of going back to a relaxer, I decided to correct people on their comments if they were ever said to me directly, which of coarse they weren't.


My husband, however loves my natural hair, and so does my dad and even my mom whom was upset at first when I cut it. My family supports me regarding my decision and that's all that matters to me. As time went on, I have gotten compliments from both men and women whom respect and embrace natural hair. It's really nice to have someone say your hair is beautiful after all the negativity I endured in the past towards my hair choice.


Did you have any regrets?


I have no regrets. Going natural is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. You'd be amazed at how much damage a relaxer really causes. It can actually damage the hair beneath the scalp making going natural difficult at first, but once you overcome that hurdle, it's smooth sailing!


What are your long term goals for your hair journey?

To have healthy, thick, long hair. My length goal is bra strap length. My health goal is to create a customized regimen for my hair that will work for me to maintain healthy hair that will accumulate length minimizing breakage, shedding, tangles, and knots.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails